Born in Lincoln, Charles Seely was Lt. Col. Of the Robin Hood Rifle Volunteers from
1869 to 1895 and MP for Nottingham from 1869 to 1874; 1880 - 85 and 1892 - 95. After
retiring from Parliament, he was made a Knight of Grace of the Order of St. John
of Jerusalem, becoming a baronet in 1896. He was High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire
in 1890. His association with Nottingham General Hospital covered nearly half a century.
During that period he made immense gifts, both of money and personal commitment.
His principal donations included The Cedars and an adjoining house in 1887, which
became a per-convalescent unit and is now a rehabilitation centre. He gave the bridge
to link Postern Street with the main hospital and bought two houses for the use of
TB patients. He was also chairman of the committee which raised funds for the Jubilee
Wing, a hanndsome addition to the hospital and he personally provided a new entrance
hall. First elected president in 1873, he hjeld the office nine times and he was
chairman of the Monthly Board from 1897 until 1914. He was made a freeman of the
Borough in 1895 and died in 1915.