President of the Nottingham Medico-
Medical Directory 1976
Alan Murphy, who was President of the Society for the 1976/77 session combine his work in a busy practice in Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire with that as a Reader at Attenborough Church and Military Service in the Army Emergency Reserve.
Alan Murphy was born in North Manchester and educated at the North Manchester Grammar School. He was awarded a Manchester City medical scholarship in 1942 to enter Manchester University from where he qualified MB ChB in 1947. His Pre-
He entered general practice at Long Eaton in 1952, retiring as senior partner in 1992. During his time he delivered 2000 babies, 15,000 at home and the last 500 in hospital when beds became available to GPs at the Queens Medical Centre and at the City Hospital, Nottingham. He was an adviser in obstetrics for the Medical Defence Union and an Assessor in Obstetric Units For the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
After National Service, Alan Murphy joined the Army Emergency Reserve as Medical Officers to the 81st Port Regiment, Royal Engineers. Later that year he transferred as Major to the 10th Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps. In 1958 at the age of 33 he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel commanding the 10th Field Ambulance.
With the development of the new Nottingham Medical School in the early 1970s Alan was quickly identified as an ideal doctor to forge links between the Medical School, the Hospital and satellite general practices which also involved in working to build the Postgraduate Education Centre at the Queens Medical Centre. Accordingly, he was appointed a part-
For his services to General Practice and to Medical Education he was awarded the MBE in 1998.
A churchman all his life, Alan made a profound contribution to his local Church in Attenborough and was a Reader there for 43 years.